Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans

From: Michel Van den Bergh
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:50:58 +0200

Ok I think we basically agree,

Specifying an engine name would be equivalent to specifying a save file in your proposal. I preferred specifying an engine name since it is completely generic. It has a meaning for all types
of engines and people are familiar with the concept.

But if you want to specify a (polyglot specific) save file on the command line then fine.

In any the case it seems to me the template should then contain a provision to include the name of the
savefile, e.g. -sf <SaveFile>  (instead of -en <EngineName>)

I assume you do not want to force the user to start WB and go to some dialog to select a new SaveFile each time. Specifying it on the command line is faster and less confusing.