[XBoard-devel] Version numbering [winboard]

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Version numbering [winboard]
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:41:51 -0600

I added a version resource to the binary. Because of the way windows numbers versions, we can't include a letter in the actual version. This information is available if you secondary click on the exe and choose the Version tab.

We can put a letter in the fields in the "Other version information" items which we have full control over. And of course the installer exe can be named anything and display any version names. But we are limited to precisely 4 fields separated by '.' for the actual file version. Bring up the version tab of any windows exe, and you'll notice they all follow the same convention.

I chatted with Arun about this a few weeks ago. But probably everyone should to be aware of this.