Re: [XBoard-devel] installer

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] installer
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:29:00 -0700

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:43:32 -0700, Arun Persaud <address@hidden> wrote:
> an issue came up with the installer. The problem is that we include
> timeseal which is a closed source program and so we can't host the
> installer on gnu.org. It's also against GNU policy to link to such an
> installer on a different site... There doesn't seem to be a good way
> around this AFAIK, but perhaps we should just host a bare winboard.exe
> on gnu.org

Let's not host binaries at all on gnu.org, only sources.  Does anyone
really want a bare winboard.exe binary?

> and link to the winforum in general and not to the installer
> package that includes those closed-source programs.

Let's do that.  It seems to be the best we can manage.

> Perhaps we could
> also have an installer without those programs?

Let's not make an installer without those programs, since everyone
using WinBoard on ICC or FICS needs them, and it will only cause
confusion and support requests if there are two different installers,
one of which doesn't have timestamp and timeseal.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/