Re: [XBoard-devel] installer

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] installer
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:06:29 -0700

Hi

>> If not, I propose we move the project site to another host, and cease to be
>> a GNU project. Who wants GNU if they make life difficult, in stead of easy?
>
> I'm not deeply committed to GNU, but I'd rather not break with them
> over this issue.  Karl seems to be OK with the compromise of having the
> gnu.org site not host or linking directly to the installer that
> contains the timestamping programs, but still linking to the top page
> of the WinBoard Forum (which is free to host the installer).

I wouldn't like to break with GNU. I also think that this issue is not
that critical that we can't solve it... in fact we already hosted the
installer containing timeseal on the winforum for 4.4.0 avoiding the
biggest problem. The only problem now is that GNU folks don't like us to
link directly to the forum post that has the installer on it, which I
think could be easily arranged, e.g. by having a forum post with just
the release notice and having the packages in a follow-up post. There
should be several other options that should be ok...

I also don't think that hosting the bare winboard.exe should be a
problem as long as we state on the webpage that this is really just the
bare winboard.exe and that people on the winboard forum provide
packages. It's just a matter of how we phrase things on the webpage...

Arun