Re: [XBoard-devel] release 4.4.1

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] release 4.4.1
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:49:13 -0600

Arun Persaud wrote:
did anyone get some feedback on the premove and clock bugs? I would like
to know if the fix works for everyone before we release...

I'm sorry, I forgot to respond to this earlier. I tested premove and had success doing premoves onto my own pieces anticipating captures.

Eric: how is the line-wrapping coming along? Should we wait to include
that into 4.4.1?

I'm not planning to implement the width updates into xboard, at least not for now. For line wrapping, there's not much to be done-- there's simply no mechanism to control how wrapping occurs in an xterm that I can tell. You either enable or disable it, but that's the only choice you have. (Disabled is amusing when you don't have a horizontal scrollbar, btw)

I did implement changes that bypass the joining code when possible. This occurs both for xboard and winboard by taking advantage of ICS server settings to prevent the splitting from occurring at all. It's only possible on FICS and ICC AFAIK. But it does fix the splitting done by timeseal. I'm not sure I understand why this setting has any effect on timeseal, but it does fix that problem nicely.

However, that change doesn't address the problem from the line wrap bug report-- that xboard will wrap in the middle of words.

As I mentioned earlier, we can provide a cmdline argument to control if joining occurs (this would also be used to disable my recent alternative method for joining mentioned above). Joining can be renabled whenever, but the commands to suppress line splitting on the servers can not be changed once you login, so this would have to be an argument, and impossible to update at runtime. I don't have any problem implementing that, but I thought I would wait for more feedback before doing so.