Re: [XBoard-devel] release 4.4.1

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] release 4.4.1
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:01:52 +0200

ok... should I release 4.4.1 then with the current commit
(53ef7482234709dc44856208bd6b9b14c4503b48) as the final commit (that is
I'll add one for the version number)?

I'll try to do this sometime tomorrow morning (10h from now or so)... so
let me know if you want anything else included before I upload the release.

There might still be a problem with the plain arrows that were added as
accelerator keys for <<, <, > and >> in the non-JAWS version.
I obviously put them in the wrong place, but I wanted to send a new
winboard.rc for commit that would have them moved to the NO_ICS
section. But I see that Eric in the mean time had moved them to the NO_ALT
section.

I am not sure what the function of the NO_ALT section is. From the code
it is not obvious to me that there is any difference at all. The reason for
moving was to make sure the arrow keys remain usable in the ICS window
for line editing.

I think we should still gray out the "open chat window" menu item outside
ICS mode.

For the joining problem: perhaps we should indeed add a command-line option
to control this. In WinBoard I prefer joining, as the ICS window wraps lines
in a very sensible way. (Tim's efforts in this area definitely were very worthwile!).
In XBoard people might prefer the ICS to wrap for them. So we could give the
option in XBoard and WinBoard simply an opposite default. How about
-keepLineBreaksICS true/false
where true would be default for XBoard and false for WinBoard?
We could add it as an undocumented option, as WB people are unlikely to
complain that lines are joined, and XBoard users will only complain when
they recall stored wild games on obscure servers.

One thing that still annoys me in XBoard is that starting it in ICS mode
from the command line (e.g. "xboard -ics -icshost freechess.org")
leaves focus on the board, rather than on the ICS console, while
the next step needs me to type my login name to the console.
Is there a way to set focus to the console? I know how to set focus
to the board, as it is a created Widget, and gets a handle assigned
at creation, which can be passed to SetFocus(). But the console was
primordial, and I don't know how to obtain its handle.

Related, but for another purpose: Is there a way to obtain the console width?
I still think always joining lines, and let XBoard insert line breaks by itself
when it writes to the console would be a fundamentally better solution then
having an option to eradicate the ICS breaks or not.