Re: [XBoard-devel] Plans for 4.4.2

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Plans for 4.4.2
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:53:40 -0800

Hi

> 1) GetLine support for ICS console
> 2) Decent file selector
> 3) Save Game Options dialog
> 4) Load Game Options dialog
> 5) Game-list options dialog
> 6) Settings file
> 7) Awareness of its window coordinates
> 8) Evaluation graph.
>
> Problem of the latter group is that they are all front end. So probably
> better
> to postpone those till after 5.0

apart from 1) I think everything should go into 5.x and should be either
 automatically available (like 2)) or relative easy to do.

As for 6): The way I understand it is that we have a well working system
for windows, but not for xboard, so we could either copy that system
over to xboard or we could also move to some standard libraries, such as:

gconf:
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/

or
gkeyfile:
http://www.gtkbook.com/tutorial.php?page=keyfile

Perhaps gkeyfiles (similar syntax to windows-ini files AFAIK) would be
something that could be used together with the windows system we are
using now.

I think using a standard library for this has the advantage of unified
ini-files and one less thing for us to keep track of or worry about...

Another thing that from a my point of few could need some changes are
the command line options, using gnu getopt would make xboard behave a
lot more like other unix programs (e.g. long options with --).

I'm happy to work both on getopt and gkeyfiles for the gtk-version if
people are interested. We would need some new system for the gtk-version
anyway. When we release the gtk-version we would then include some
conversion program that converts existing ini-files to the new ones.

These things could also already go into 4.4.2...

cheers
    ARUN