Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: patches

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: patches
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:25:03 -0800

Hi

On 12/24/2009 03:50 AM, Michel Van den Bergh wrote:
> On the technical side I wonder if there is smoother migration path
> Xt-->gtk.
> I.e. slowly replacing Xt widgets by gtk widgets (the file selector would
> be an obvious candidate).
> xboard will look ugly for a while but at least it would not be an all or
> nothing thing.
>
> I guess first the Xt main loop would have to be replaced by the gtk
> mainloop. The question then
> is if it is possible to integrate Xt widgets in the gtk main loop. I
> don't know enough about the
> inner workings of either toolkit to see if this is feasible. Perhaps
> this might help.

don't think that this is necessarily needed... I think I figured out how
to do most things in GTK, the problem is only that I don't have much
time to code :( Think with a few extra hours per week we could have
almost all major features in GTK relatively soon.

Replacing things one by one seems more difficult to me... since I think
using stuff like glade gtk gui builder) would be hard.

ARUN