Re: [XBoard-devel] Can xboard become some xboard.pet?

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Can xboard become some xboard.pet?
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:45:51 -0700

Hi

> I'm a user of Toutou Linux, a french distro based on the famous OS Puppy
> Linux. Indeed, my old laptop doesn't run new Linux OS (Debian, Ubuntu,
> etc...) and I decided to choose this OS.
> But here is my problem, this distro has its own Packet Manager, which is
> named PupGet, and I didn't saw that xboard was compatible on this kind
> of OS.
> Is your dev-team able to compile it and then add it to the repository of
> Puppy Linux? [...]

If you have the necessary libraries installed (they most likely will be
available in your distribution), you should be able to download the
tar-ball of the latest release[1] and just run

configure
make
make install

to get xboard running on your computer.

According to [2]:

"The Puppy Package Manager
Also known just as the PPM. This provides you with a very nice GUI for
installing packages, either Puppy's own PET packages or those of some
other distro (such as Debian/Ubuntu .deb packages)."

It seems that you can install .deb packages. Xboard can be downloaded as
a .deb package from [3] or [4].

If you want to create your own PET package we are happy to help you in
case you run into issues that need to get fixed in xboard or other
problems that come up while running the configure script... but I don't
think we can help you in creating the package itself. There are some
instructions at [5] on how to do this, perhaps you want to give it a
try? In case you succeed, I'm happy to add a link on our homepage to the
.pet package.

regards

Arun

[1] ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xboard/