Re: [XBoard-devel] next release

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] next release
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:37:07 -0700

Hi

On 09/29/2011 12:11 PM, h.g. muller wrote:
> At 12:59 28-9-2011 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
>> ... anything else?
>
> Well, I was checking things, and encountered the following problem in
> XBoard:
> For board sizes (-size) 29, 33, 37, and 40 the menu bar is now wider
> than the board,
> bacause the new menu organization has more items than it used to have.
> This means the menu bar will determine the width of the window in those
> sizes,
> leaving lots of white space to the right of the board, which is truly ugly.
> At -size 25 the problem disappears, because XBoard switches to so-called
> tinyLayout, where it only putsthe first letter on the menu names on the
> menu bar.
>
> Should we still do something about this for 4.5.3? And if so, what?
> The easiest fix  would be to let tinyLayout start at -size 40 in stead
> of 25.

I would vote for this quick fix or leaving it as it is (doesn't look too
bad on my computer)... another fix could be to center the board under
the menu in case the menu is longer than the board... might look a better?!

> [...] Finally we could reconsider the new menu organization, e.g. dissolve the
> Engine
> menu and move the items to Action and Options, or merge Action and Mode.
> This would mean a major change to the code, though.

I think reorganizing the menus might be a good idea, but I rather would
do that when we do a new major release or even better when we change to
GTK. As for the menu problem with GTK we will have SVG pieces and will
be able to freely rescale the window, so we can get rid of fixed sizes
anyway in which case we would need to rethink again what we will do when
the menu gets longer than the window, so I think it's better to wait
with that...

ARUN