Re: [Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts first release

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [Xouvert-general] ANNOUNCEMENT: roadmap for Xouverts first release
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:34:05 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:06:57AM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:

Hi folks,

<snip>
> In the month ahead, instead of slurping all the XFree86 sources into our
> repository and going from there, we will be extracting the X server from
> the XFree86 CVS and making it compile standalone.  Then we will add in
> some currently available third party drivers and bug fixes, and that
> will be our first release.
I would really like to see it splitted into smaller packages, so only
has to download what's really needed. That point really sucks in XFree86.

<snip>
> Beginning immediately after October 1st, we will work on an automation
> infrastructure, which will let us provide up-to-the-minute binary rpm's,
> tgz's, and debian packages in addition to the usual source code
> tarballs.
Perhaps you could set up an automated annonce mailer, which announces
new packages, their source, dependencies, etc in an 100% machine readable
format. I'm currently developing an scheme for such an automated package
information file, which someday should be the basis for fully automated
installs/updates.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux ITS
 Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat.          UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/