Re: [xougen] General X qestion

From: Shawn
Subject: Re: [xougen] General X qestion
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:43:55 -0500

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 17:08, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2003-09-15 at 19:16, Core wrote:
> > Whenever I run an X program which displays bitmaps on a remote display,
> > the act of moving a window over it makes it not only redraw, but pull
> > all the graphics from the remote end all over again.
>
> Not unless the program was written badly. X provides the notion of
> images you can manipulate either server or client side. So good software
> pushes the images it needs to the server once. A redraw then triggers
> nothing more than a new draw request citing the image already held
> remotely. Games like xmris do this to great effect and are playable over
> the network as a result.

g[td]k-[12] apps, such as gimp-[1|2] exhibit this behavior IIRC, so
maybe someone should tutor the g[td]k-[12] folks. Maybe it's just that
I'm thinking of /other/ X servers that don't properly support backing
store. (Xmanager maybe)

Thanks a million for the X info, Alan. If I'm in your area sometime, I'd
love to buy you an ale and a burger!