Re: macros for rpath support

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: macros for rpath support
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 18:31:01 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Bruno Haible <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:45:46 +0200 (CEST)
>
> I would propose this facility for inclusion in GNU autoconf. The reason is
> that although it has been developed to deal with -lintl and -liconv, the
> macros are generally useful and can equally well be used to locate libz
> or libxml.

This is an excellent idea.  A couple of things.  First, can you write
up some documentation for it, suitable for use in the Autoconf manual?
An example or two would be nice.  If you don't have time to do it, I
can volunteer to write one, but mine won't be as good as yours.

Second, assuming you write some nontrivial documentation for Autoconf,
you need to sign papers for Autoconf.

Thanks very much for this suggestion.

> From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:20:26 -0300
>
> Weird as it may sound, is it easy to _disable_ such feature?

What do you mean by "disable"?  If configure.ac does not use
AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS, the feature won't be present.  So are you talking
about an installer who wants to convince "configure" not to use this
feture?  If so, do you want a command-line option, or an environment
variable, or what?  (If you want an environment variable it's probably
already in there somewhere.  :-)