Tests, Documentation

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Tests, Documentation
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:21:46 +0100

Dear co-hackers,

having read quite a bit of Classpath code, I'd like to express two wishes.

First, please write more test cases. I agree that it is boring, dumb, and
taxing; testing slows down development. But it's also the most reliable
way to make sure that code really works. If anyone needs to change our
code in five years, they'll want to know whether their change has any
serious impact. Without a large test suite, this is close to impossible.

Second, please write understandable documentation for every single
method. Developers should be able to create free programs without
referring to external documents. These could disappear at any time.

In other words, I think that we really need to improve the quality of our
code. Building a sound foundation for others is not the same as some fun
week-end hack.

Thank you all,

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/