Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: category "truenames"

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: category "truenames"
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:25:57 +0900

    > On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 12:47, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> So I think that a reasonable extension to ensure global uniqueness of
    >> a category would be to keep a history of external tags back to the
    >> archive where the project was first imported.  It would be that
    >> archive that determines the "true name" of the category.

    rc> It's already there and in use. Unless you deliberately
    rc> join-tree, categorys with the same name are independent.

What does that mean, in terms of abstract categories defined as
"collections of pristine trees that plausibly can share code via tla"?
Independent across what?

managing mirrors of 10,000s of categories, possibly drawing from
100,000s of archives.  How does this feature help manage that?

    Tom> I really didn't have any clue how to make sense of that
    Tom> comment when it appeared but:

    Tom> Would this goal be satisfied just by adding a header to log
    Tom> messages created by `import' which said "Initial-import: yes"
    Tom> (or some such)?

No.  The archive that it was imported from could disappear, so you
lose the history.  Probably you can reconstruct this part of it by
looking at patch-logs; I haven't thought about that carefully.  But
you can't express the relationship between the several arch archives
of the Linux kernel sources that have sprung up with that, because
each was constructed (effectively) by creating a series of pristine
workspaces from tarballs and committing them.