Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: category "truenames"

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: category "truenames"
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:45:45 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

    >     Tom> I really didn't have any clue how to make sense of that
    >     Tom> comment when it appeared but:

    >     Tom> Would this goal be satisfied just by adding a header to log
    >     Tom> messages created by `import' which said "Initial-import: yes"
    >     Tom> (or some such)?

    > No.  The archive that it was imported from could disappear, so you
    > lose the history.

That's mostly a social problem, not a technological one.  I've made
sufficient tools.  "Cooperate or die," so to speak.

It would be hard to add further mechanism in this area without
defining a political structure that potentiates asymmetric authority
more than anything else.  Hard -- but not necessarily impossible: I'm
intrigued by the idea from Monotone of using NNTP and signatures as a
backbone, for example.

    > archive

Hmmm.   Other structures are certainly both possible and preferable.

Software is politics.  register-archive works that way for a reason.