Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive storage format comments on the size

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive storage format comments on the size
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:14:15 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 05:55:56PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Andrea Arcangeli <address@hidden>
>
>     > On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:50:55AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>     > > different .tar.gz). In short I believe the superpatchset it's very
>     > > preferable not just for space compression, but for checkout
> performance
>     > > too. Oh, it'd better be in bzip2 format (possibly selectable
> optionally,
>     > > that will crunch another 20% of space or so).
>
>     > I forgot to tell one last important property of the [long highly
>     > speculative design idea.]
>
> That's ok.   Say less about these ideas in the first place, and we can
> ask followup questions about the ones that seem interesting.

Well, I thought it was easier to understand if I outlined the properties
of the superpatch. For istance I even myself didn't think immediatly at
the huge benefit it would generate during network transfer. That's why I
sent a second email.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/