[Gnu-arch-users] Re: archive storage format comments on the size

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: archive storage format comments on the size
Date: 30 Sep 2003 10:54:32 +0900

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
> A case in point is optimizing for `tla get'.  You asserted that
> optimizing for any other operation in the archive format was
> unimportant, and then generated quite a bit about how to optimize for
> `get'.

To be fair, I think he was really suggesting to optimize for `tla get'
on very old archives (so many things have been suggested, though, it's a
bit hard to keep track!).

I think the general idea of glomming together dusty old sequences of
changesets into more-space-efficient-but-slower bundles is nice though;
maybe it would be the sort of thing you could do after moving to a new
archive (well probably a couple of months later, actually).  I see no
reason to discard context info though, it could just use some special
representation to store it more efficiently.

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page