Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unable to acquire revision lock

From: Gurupartap Davis
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unable to acquire revision lock
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:24:48 -0600

Now I've got another problem:  I was testing the permissions of my
archive directory by committing a change as another user.

Gurupartap,

Unfortunately this appears to be a fundamental "useability
problem" (to be euphemistic) at the moment.  If your umask is
such that directory creation is non-group-writeable, then a
commit by anyone in the group will create a revision lock dir
which prevents commits from all others in the group until that
lock dir is made group writeable.

I'm having the same trouble, and this appears in my estimation to
be a rather serious bottleneck in arch's functionality at the
moment.  I am interested enough in a solution that I could
probably find an evening or two to spend working on it, if I
thought it would help.

Bob

I recall CVS having the same problem, whenever you added new files...

Setting the umask should help though, right?   This seems to be more of a Unix filesystem related issue than anything to do with arch.  Why not just tell all local commiters to set their umask properly?  I suppose it might depend on your OS version, but the way linux and OS X seem to be set up, the default group of a new file is the group of the parent directory.