Re: [gnugo-devel] Opponent follow-up value and group connection

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Opponent follow-up value and group connection
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:02:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, SP LEE wrote:

> This is a more careful treatment for larger dragons. Please ignore my
> previous patch. The fix here is like "forget the shape factor if either
> attacking or defending a dragon of more than 20 points is involved." This
> kind of play can be seen even in professional games.

Interesting idea, I like it.  Two comments:  you probably don't want a
hard threshold like this.  I think you want to completely ignore it for
large dragons, and reduce the impact for mid-sized dragons, and keep it
entire for small dragons.  Something like a linear scaling between 8 and
20 point dragons, or maybe something more complex.  Secondly, do you have
regression results for the patch?  Is the regression suite lacking in
testcases in this area (I think it is, but I'm not sure...)

Evan Daniel