Re: [Texmacs-dev] problems with TeXmacs versioning scheme

From: Leo
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] problems with TeXmacs versioning scheme
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:04:49 -0400

On Sunday April 06 2003 15:22, Nix N. Nix wrote:
> [...]
>
> Unstable O_o ?!  In what way ?  I use TeXmacs 1.0.1.8 and have not found
> /any/ stability issues whatsoever.  Could you please be more specific ?

I my email I never mentioned 1.0.1.8. Instead, I referred to 1.0.1.X.
I think that the students experienced stability problems with 1.0.1.4 or
1.0.1.5. In any case, 1.0.1.X is a "bleeding edge" development tree and
its stability varies greatly from one release to another.

> [....]

> I believe the fault with this lies in the 'ps2pdf' utility.  I tried
> converting both TeXmacs-generated PostScript files and ones generated by
> other programs, and ps2pdf makes them all look ugly.

This is incorrect. Both ps2pdf and Adobe Distiller use whatever fonts
are included (or referenced) in the original PS document. TeXmacs
generates PS files using bitmap fonts only. Therefore, the resulting PDF files
also contain only bitmaps fonts. On the other hand, LaTeX allows one
to use native Postscript fonts without converting them to bitmaps.
In that case the PDF output looks so much better.

> Either way, output to PDF is currently being worked on.

I think, that at this stage one does not even need a special
PDF converter. It would suffice to have a better PS converter which
can work with true Postscript fonts. Then ps2pdf can generate PDF.

--Leo--