Re: [Texmacs-dev] versioning scheme and PDF export

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] versioning scheme and PDF export
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:55:07 +0200 (CEST)

> > > Unstable O_o ?!  In what way ?  I use TeXmacs 1.0.1.8 and have not found
> > > /any/ stability issues whatsoever.  Could you please be more specific ?
> >
> > I my email I never mentioned 1.0.1.8. Instead, I referred to 1.0.1.X.
> > I think that the students experienced stability problems with 1.0.1.4 or
> > 1.0.1.5. In any case, 1.0.1.X is a "bleeding edge" development tree and
> > its stability varies greatly from one release to another.
>
> Well, it is true that *most* experimental releases are pretty stable.
> But occasionally there are releases which are seriously broken. The
> 1.0.1.4 to 1.0.1.6 indeed had a lot of problems because a big
> reorganization was in progress and some small error slipped in.
>
> I agree that the versioning scheme is unconvential and that is a bad
> thing.

I don't understand what is so unconventional about it.
Major releases are of the form a.b, stable releases of
the form a.b.c and unstable releases of the form a.b.c.d.
That seems pritty standard.

I even think that the linux kernel releases, which were
mentioned before, have a really odd numbering scheme :^)