tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Investigating cwdaemon choppiness (please help)

From: Rein Couperus
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Investigating cwdaemon choppiness (please help)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:42:07 +0100

On Monday 17 November 2003 14:14, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Martin OK1RR has reported chopiness with cwdaemon on several occasions. I
> have debugged some of cwdaemon's latest code and found a tiny bug, which
> would cause cwdaemon to always add one dot/dash space after every letter.
> When I use this modified version of cwdaemon I can use weight 0 and it
> sounds just fine. With the old version I would always use weight 1.
> However, Martin still reports that he has to use a weight of 3 for a
> reasonable sound. To be able to investigate this further I need your help.
>
> Here are some questions if you use cwdaemon, please use the latest version
> (0.7) if you can.
>
> 1) Do you experience any choppiness (bad dot/dash ratio, not 1:3), when
> using cwdaemon?

On my system in the shack (800 Mhz athlon with kernel 2.4.19) the cw is
extremely choppy from 30 wpm upwards and weight is 0.
I use it with weight =3, which is o.k. up to 51 wpm.
This is strange, as top says the processor is 95 % idle.

On my development system (1.4 GHz athlon with kernel 2.4.21) I can use
weight=0 or weight=1

> 2) At what speeds do you use cwdaemon?
upwards from 30 wpm (tlf indicator)

> 3) What weight value are you using?
w=3 on the slower machine
w=1 on the faster one, although w=0 would do o.k. (I like "heavy" keying; I
have learned it with a mechanical bug :-)

> 4) Do you listen to the PC-speaker or the sidetone of your transceiver?
sidetone trx (OMNI VI + with QSK).

> 5) If you use the sidetone, do you use the serial or parallel interface?

always parallel interface.

73, Rein
(packing bags)