Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shield and Armor Rules

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shield and Armor Rules
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:28:22 +0100

On 3/11/06, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have also been thinking about the relative hardness of various materials.
>
> I am working from the idea that hardness is measured along a continuum
> between skin (0.1 hardness) and stone (2 hardness). Unimproved iron would
> have a hardness of 1, I think. This is a draft list, of course.

I guess that for armour we also have to consider how much of the body
it actually covers, but apart from that such a list is very useful.
The values themselves look sensible, I think.

> Human skin            0.1
> Dwarvish skin         0.2
> Leather                  0.3
> Hardened Leather   0.4
> Wood                    0.5
> Brass                    0.6
> Ironwood                0.7
> Bronze                  0.8
> Tempered Bronze   0.9
> Forged Iron           1.0
> Tempered Iron       1.2
> Steel                    1.3
> Tempered Steel     1.5
> Khuzdunat Steel    1.8
> Stone                   2.0
>

> This list is more or less intended to help develop consistent stats for the
> armour value of a specific item based on its construction.
>
> The other question I have is whether we want to implement item durability
> rules.

Good question ... if it's properly done, I think we might do it. I
played games where it was a nuisance, as items broke unexpectedly. But
if you can see how worn out an item is and get the chance to have it
repaired or repair it yourself, it often was quite enjoyable. Sort of
makes more fun to go out on a quest when you have to prepare yourself
properly for it. As far as DB is concerned, I'm not sure if the game
is long enough to really experience any notable decline of equipment.
A little maybe, and we might also have items Marcella can find that
start in a pretty bad state, thus requiring some tending to before
being able to make good use of them.