Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shield and Armor Rules

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shield and Armor Rules
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:45:41 -0800

Other possibilities for armour (and their coverage modifers):

bracers                         0.2 (same as gloves)
pants/greaves                0.3 (value between boots and vest)
neck/shoulder armour     0.2 (same value as a helmet)

I wonder if the coverage modifier for a full set of armour should come
out to a whole number (either 1 or 2, perhaps?)

Also, should individual parts of paired armour be individually
equipped? For example, bracers and gloves come in twos. It makes no
sense to split up greaves or boots, but sometimes gloves or greaves
don't come in pairs and don't even -need- to come in pairs. For
example, why wear a bracer on your shield arm?

Thus, the total coverage modifier scheme would like this:

Helmet:                              0.2
Neck guard/Shoulder armor: 0.2
Vest (chest armor)              0.6
Bracers                             0.2 or 0.4
Gloves                               0.2 or 0.4
Pants/greaves                     0.3
Boots:                                0.1 or 0.2

This gives us either 1.8 or 2.3 for the total coverage modifer,
assuming the player finds and equips one of everything, which seems a
bit silly. The character would be armored rather like an overbuilt
tortoise.

A more reasonable approach might be to think of armour in sets. I
don't know how implement this yet, but that will follow.

For example, light, medium, and heavy armours:

Light                         Medium:                  Heavy
Helmet                      Helmet                    Helmet
Vest or shoulder        Vest or Shoulder      Vest and shoulder
Bracers or Gloves      Bracers& Gloves      Bracers&gloves
Pants or greaves       Pants or greaves      Pants&greaves
Boots                       Boots                      Boots
Shield                       Shield                     Shield

Andrew