Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shield and Armor Rules

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Shield and Armor Rules
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:03:54 -0800

I meant to preface my remarks with something, but I forgot. It's been
a busy day. I tried to run some numbers in an attempt to make sense of
coverage modifiers, etc. I decided to run a small armour set and a
coverage modifier with sum 1 and a larger set of armour with sum
coverage of 2.

Of course, with a large coverage modifier for chest armour, it clearly
becomes the most significant factor in determining total armour
rating. The total base armour value for the other items is 3 times the
base armour value of the chest armour, but because of the modifiers,
their total armour value is barely more than half the other.

With the coverage modifier of two, it looks somewhat more equitable,
though that is without the shield.

BTW, this is a hypothetical armour outfit for a monk, which explains
all the organic armours and the lack of a shield.

I have also thought about -why- the shield should be a seperate
category of armour with its own coverage modifier. Including the
shield in the sum 1 modifier would penalize players who prefer heavily
armed melee characters, or more lightly armed characters who
specialize in ranged combat or melee with two-handed weapons. These
characters can wear armour everywhere else, but their chosen style of
combat precludes carrying shields.

Just my thoughts.

Andrew