[Adonthell-devel] Win32 build progress

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Win32 build progress
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 23:07:00 +0200

After some trial and error, I have the first small success to report.
I've managed to compile a working version of v0.3 under windows, with
everything working except NLS. Adding that shouldn't be a big problem,
just another few libs to compile.

I have documented the stuff in a README.Win32 file, which is now part
of v0.3 and can be found in CVS:
http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/adonthell-0.3/README.Win32?rev=1.1&root=adonthell

One issue I have (although it is not really a show-stopper) is that
most libraries I've created so far are named cyg*.dll, even though
they do not depend on cygwin. For some reason, this does not happen
with SDL.dll, so I might be able to figure something out from its
build scripts to help me fix that.

Also I didn't manage to build a dll for Freetype, so that is
statically linked at present. That's not too bad, I guess.

So over the following days, I'd like to get gettext (and iconv, etc)
compiled to enable NLS, then try to build adonthell 0.4. Once that
works reliable, I'll add GTK+ and compile our tools (dlgedit, for the
moment). If all that is done and documented, it should be possible to
develop on Linux, OSX and Windows. Whether we continue using autotools
or something like cmake shouldn't really matter then, if all the
required libs and headers are present in the environment.

Kai

P.S. I might also release the 0.3.4 win32 build once I'm satisfied
that stuff works as expected. But I'm not in too much a hurry with
that.