[Adonthell-devel] Re: First tests with the native SDL 1.3 backend

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: First tests with the native SDL 1.3 backend
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:31:33 +0100

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> The most interesting test on the old iBook has been foiled by problems
> with the fullscreen mode and crashes. Still open whether both are
> issues with SDL, and no idea when they might get resolved.

At least one issue was fixed yesterday. Ran into new problems
afterwards, but nothing that could prevent me from taking the
measurement.

So ... *tada* ...

On the poor old thing with its 800MHz G3 CPU and a Radeon Mobility
7500 with 32megs of VRAM, a frame used to take 150ms to compute. (At
1024x768). With hardware acceleration, that's down to 7ms. That's
really a huge improvement and I guess that means there's little that
prevents us from porting Adonthell to mobile devices or running it on
low-end netbooks.

Though I guess by the time it's ready for release, those kind of
devices are going to be fast enough to run well with the software
rendering too :-(.