[Adonthell-devel] Re: First tests with the native SDL 1.3 backend

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: First tests with the native SDL 1.3 backend
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:33:25 +0100

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Couldn't wait to post the first results, even though the code needs a
> little more work before being ready to commit.
[...]
> Anyway, I got a few bits and pieces to clean up, then I can merge
> stuff into master. Once its tested and fixed to work on big endian
> too, I will finally have to move to more boring work in order to get
> the Waste's Edge re-release back on track.

Stuff is in git for a while now, but I haven't been able to get more
measurements so far  On my MacBook Pro I could only test the new
version, but haven't been able to compare it against the old. Still,
at 1920x1080 resolution it requires an average of 5ms per frame. Not
too shabby, I'd say.

The most interesting test on the old iBook has been foiled by problems
with the fullscreen mode and crashes. Still open whether both are
issues with SDL, and no idea when they might get resolved. But not
much use in trying to work around them now. Gotta wait and see first.
So in the meantime, I started working on engine stuff again.

But if any of you goes ahead and tries it out, please post your results here.