[Adonthell-devel] Editors and GTK+ 3.x

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Editors and GTK+ 3.x
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:30:35 +0200

Just installed recent GTK+ 2.x and the editors on the MacBook,
although I do hope that I don't find time to code during my holiday
:-).

Anyway, while looking for some clues to get it properly built on OSX
(did that a couple of times, but never can remember all the details),
I happened across this:

   http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.0/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html

As with the migration from GTK 1 to GTK 2, it's something we have to
deal with sometime in the future. Didn't look so bad at first,
especially with the hints given under the Preparations section. All
stuff that can be done with the GTK 2 code, and to some degree stuff
I've already been doing (like getting rid of using deprecated
functions).

However, further reading shows that GTK 3 doesn't have GdkDrawable any
longer, and that's what is used by dlgedit, modeller and mapedit to
render stuff. For modeller and mapedit, it's not so bad, as it's only
used as a surface, while all the drawing is already done with Cairo.
Mapedit OTOH uses a lot of Gdk based drawing, which will have to be
completely replaced with Cairo. Arghh ...

So lets hope that we can live a while yet with GTK2! But at least it
might be good to check out the Preparation stuff and implement what's
suggested there. Like defining the G_SEAL compiler flag and such.
Anyway, no need to worry for now. GTK2 should be around for quite some
time.