[Adonthell-devel] Integration of the different tools

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Integration of the different tools
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:14:44 +0200

So far I had seen the different tools as more or less separate from
each other, only connected by a common look and feel.

This morning, however, I had an idea that might help to connect the
tools more tightly. I've already suggested that modeller could be
launched from a button of the entity properties in mapedit. In the
same way, charedit (once it exists) could be launched from the
character tab of the properties dialog and itemedit from the item tab.
In turn, charedit would allow to launch dlgedit to create or alter the
dialogue assigned to NPCs, and itemedit to create or modify their
equipment.

That would make mapedit more or less the central application from
where all other tools could be reached at need. I could even imagine a
"New Model" button that brings up empty modeller.

The only tool still sitting all by itself would be questedit, although
it has some ties to dlgedit in that dialogues will often query or
change quest progress. But so do other scripts tied to items or
scenery the player will interact with.

Oh, and there is another task that should be part of mapedit. There
are the world and time (and maybe even the audio) data files that
determine some initial settings for the engine, like which map to
load, the current in-game date and the background music to play. A
simple GUI to create and modify those files could also be part of
mapedit.

That way, all tools could still be used an developed independently,
but at the same time they'd ensure a smooth workflow if a new
character or creature needs be created to be placed on the map, or a
new item added to that characters inventory.

It will take a little while until all that can be done, but the recent
improvements in desktop integration the editors received will
certainly aid in the task, as all that really needs to be done is
opening a given file with its standard application.