Re: [Adonthell-devel] compilation & test problems

From: Michał Kaliński
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] compilation & test problems
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:27:47 +0200

2011/7/11 Kai Sterker <address@hidden>:
> The problem is, when the python stuff does not end up in the
> site-packages, they are not easily found afterwards. Setting
> $PYTHONPATH could help in that case, but I am not sure if anyone ever
> tried with success. I know there have been requests for the ability to
> install without root before. Not much came of it, though. See
>
>  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-devel/2008-10/msg00028.html
>

> The problem in general is that for a "normal" install,
> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR are not necessarily
> sharing the same prefix. So it's not possible to use
> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX when installing the python modules. Not sure how
> to resolve that. Maybe allow to override PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR could
> help.

I had no problem setting $PYTHONPATH - it just needs to be set to
whatever value PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR has. So I would definitely
advise allowing to override PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR for those who'd
like to do that. I modified config/PythonExtraLibs.cmake:56 so that
it's possible to set -DPYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR when running cmake.
----
IF(NOT DEFINED PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR)
  SET(PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR "")
  PythonLibs_get_site_package_dir (PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR)
ENDIF(NOT DEFINED PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR)
----
It worked as expected for me.

> The only thing I see is that there needs to be a space between
> "../adonthell/test" and "data". The first specifies a custom game
> directory (later it would use the one builtin) while the second option
> points to a game inside that directory. Again, the idea is that there
> could be multiple of those.

Yes, for some reason I chose to disregard that space. Worldtest works
now (even though the NPC seems to enjoy falling off the edge of the
world).

With that said, I'd like to help with development of adonthell. I'd
like to ask, which of the open tasks would you recommend to begin
with? I may be a little slow at the beginning, so I'd like to know
which ones are not actively worked upon by other people at the moment.

I'd also like to ask - did anyone manage to set Eclipse CDT for
adonthell correctly? When I try, it reports a horrendous amount of
"Symbol Undefined" errors in nearly every file, mostly related to
python, even though the program builds just fine. I admit I didn't
really look that deep into it, since I don't really need Eclipse, but
since you recommend it for development, I'm just curious.

Michal