Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller and Connectors

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller and Connectors
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 22:58:22 +0100

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Filtering by matching entities is in, as well as filtering by tag.
> Remains updating the grid based on connectors, if present.

Finished (and committed) the preparations for that. Now I'll need to
implement the actual grid adjustment algorithm. Before doing that, I
wanted to get some testing material, so I've started adding
meta-information to some of cirrus' models. That lead to a few minor
tweaks of modeller that should improve usability a bit.

It also lead to one major oversight in mapedit's TABbing
implementation: since pressing TAB or CTRL+TAB will directly select
the next object from the entity list, the connector-based filtering
does not work as hoped. If, for example, I want to "paint" with the
3rd matching object, I'd have to tab through the first two. However,
by tabbing to the next, there will be different matching objects and I
will never be able to get to the desired one.

That means, tabbing has to be changed into a two-step process. First
move through the objects without actually selecting them. And when
arrived at the desired object, select it. This would also solve the
issue with objects not on the map yet. No dialog will pop up until
such an object is actually chosen to paint with.

Remains the question how to handle this.

* Could either do it similar like the task switcher on most desktops.
While you keep ALT pressed, you can tab through all open programs and
only when you release ALT, the selected program will be brought to
front. We could use CTRL+TAB, but that would mean tabbing in one
direction only. (unless we'd employ CTRL+SHIFT+TAB too).

* Or could keep TAB and CTRL+TAB for going through objects, but
require an additional key (RETURN/ENTER) to actually acknowledge or
(ESC) cancel the selection.

In any case, I guess the current object should be shown in full size
(kind of like in cirrus' mock ups).

Input welcome,