Re: [Adonthell-devel] User interface open items

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] User interface open items
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 12:18:34 +0100

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM, StyxD <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> Well, I think I could make the first approach work, but it's still a hack.
>
> The move event is much nicer. It would probably be required to listen
> on two events - when the speaking character moves and when the player
> character moves (which will cause the mapview to move).

That's true. If bubbles aren't updated regularly, mapview movements
need to be factored in as well. Makes me think how to handle those, as
they are not necessarily tied to player movement (although unless
we're in a scripted cut-scene player movement will be the only cause.)
Still, mapview position update will sometimes lag behind player
movement, especially with changes in the 3rd dimension
(jumping/falling).

So maybe we also need a mapview_move event?

It might be worth thinking about that a bit more. Maybe the mapview
and window_manager need to be coupled more tightly. Right now, the
mapview is kind of a background for the window_manager, but maybe it
should be more something like a root window. And if the window_manager
had knowledge of the mapview, we could implement "mapview-relative"
windows/popups, whose real coordinates would be in world space. In
window_manager::update, these could then be transformed into screen
space for each frame. That could simplify the bubbles a bit, as they
could use the same coordinate system as the character they belong to.
And the mapview-relative kind of windows could be useful for other
things too: all sorts of indicators, i.e. to mark attack targets, show
health remaining or damage taken, etc.

What do you think?

> I could try to work on that event implementation, before finishing the
> speech bubbles (they're almost done anyway). University courses start
> for me this week, but afterwards I'll know my schedule in detail and
> hopefully I find some spot to regularly work on this.

Just let me know if you can find the time. I'm currently working on
getting the Adonthell website back online and want to start another
round of attracting more contributors afterwards, but I can also help
with the programming in between.