Re: [Adonthell-devel] User interface open items

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] User interface open items
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 19:12:44 +0100

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 6:49 PM, StyxD <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Let me know if I can pick up some of the work. I could implement the
>> move event for instance, so you can concentrate on the actual window
>> management logic.
>
> By all means. At this point, the move events are independent of the
> window_manager modifications.
> It shouldn't take me a lot of time, but I don't have a lot of it, either...

Okay, then I will look into the move events.

> One more question before I start, though: how should we treat windows
> which (by their coordinates) should be partially visible?
> With the speech bubbles, I though that they should be always visible,
> even if their anchor point moves outside the mapview (in that case
> they would cling to screen edges), until they are explicitly closed by
> an event.

That would make sense in case of the bubbles (in that you could still
hear NPCs even if they get out of sight). OTOH it could be confusing
if bubbles appear seemingly out of nowhere all along the screen edge.

Also considering generic map-relative windows, it might be best to
just draw them where they are supposed to appear, and if it means they
are partly past the edge of the view or completely offscreen, so it
be.

> With map-relative windows being coded into the window_manager, how
> should we treat them? Ignore them? Or use the logic I described above?
> We could also partially draw them, I guess it could have its uses too,
> but would the rendered accept coordinates that are off the drawing
> area?

Yes. As long as a proper clipping recangle is specified (the da
parameter of the various draw methods) that is no problem.