arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Error trying to pull ArX 2.0

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Error trying to pull ArX 2.0
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>I guess it's only if you abort
> >>the process early that you end up with junk in the current directory.
> >>That does seem like a bug to me.
> >

> > That is also by design.  If a get is only partially successful, you
> > won't accidently think that it completed.
>
> Hmm. I still don't appreciate the current directory getting cluttered
> with ,, files. Would it be possible to create the destination directory
> first (perhaps with a mangled name, like "project-incomplete"), and
> create all the temp files inside it?

The temp directory has a mangled name indicating the command, the
revision, and when it was executed.  How would you do it differently?

Also, if the command aborts itself for some reason, all of the temp
directories should delete themselves.  If you abort it (e.g. with
Ctrl-C), then it doesn't clean up after itself.  That would involve
installing a signal handler, which is more complicated than the
cleanup via destructors that we have now.  It wouldn't be impossible.
Basically, I would have to register each of the temp directories in a
global list that the signal handler could see.

If I go down that road, I would also like to do a similar thing for
archive locks.

Walter