arx-users

[Arx-users] Conflict resolution

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Arx-users] Conflict resolution
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:46:09 -0500

The manual definitely needs more discussion about how to resolve
conflicts. The output of merge might also be improved, although I'm not
yet sure about that. I've been using version control for decades, but
have almost never had to deal with conflicts, so this is all new to me.

I had already fixed the gnome-vfs url encoding thing on my system. When
I pulled the latest patches from wlandry, it told me about a conflict. I
made a half-hearted attempt to figure out what to do, but ended up
committing something that's just plain wrong.

Now I'm not sure how to fix it. I think I'll be able to figure out how
to obtain a copy of gvfs.hpp from wlandry's head, replace my copy with
that, and commit it. I suspect there are cleaner ways to handle this,
perhaps involving some undo's and re-merges. Actually, since this was
just a scratch branch of arx anyway, I'll probably just blow it away and
re-sync with the wlandry head.

I know there are tons of things that can be done, over time, to improve
how conflicts are handled. For now, I'm really just interested in making
sure that newbies like me are given every possible opportunity to make
the right choices when a conflict comes up. Hopefully just a few words
here or there will be enough to help dramatically.

Kevin