Re: [Aspell-user] Tweaking aspell.config

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Tweaking aspell.config
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:41:07 -0700

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:05:24PM +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

> However I can find no trace of any configuration files - either global
> or personal.

I haven't used any config files, but do you mean these?

http://savannah.gnu.org/download/aspell/manual/user/4_Customizing.html#SECTION00512000000000000000

And running:

  $ strace -e trace=open aspell -a

I see:

  open("/usr/local/etc/aspell.conf", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
  open("/home/moseley/.aspell.conf", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

So it looks like it's trying to open those config files.

For example, say I specify a language:

  $ cat .aspell.conf
  lang fr

  $ aspell -a
  Error: No word lists can be found for the language "fr".

but changing it to "lang en" works.

> Running "aspell dump config" displays a lot of interesting info; but,
> what if I want to change the current settings?
>
> No problem (other than where?) when there is a current sample - e.g.
>
> # local-data-dir descrip: location of local language data files
> # local-data-dir default: <actual-dict-dir>
> # local-data-dir current: /usr/local/stow/aspell/lib/aspell/
>
> But what do I do with this (even if I understood the descrip):
>
> # master descrip: base name of the main dictionary to use
> # master default:
> # master current:
>
> And the following pair is also far from clear:
>
> # lang descrip: language code
> # lang default: <language-tag>
> # lang current: en_US

I asked on the list one time, but I can't remeber what Kevin said about
the "default: <language-tag>".

Anyway, what exactly do you want to change?

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden