Re: [Aspell-user] perl module cpan test Text::Aspell

From: moseley
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] perl module cpan test Text::Aspell
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:50:18 -0700

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:24:28PM +0100, David Hoare wrote:

> I am have been trying to install the perl module of Aspell (Text::Aspell)
> using cpan and have run into a couple of problems. Firstly an include file
> couldn't be found - I got over this by installing the latest version of
> Aspell by hand into /usr/local.

I think on Redhat there's a aspell-devel package you can install that
provides the required files.

> cpan> test Text::Aspell
> Running test for module Text::Aspell
> Running make for H/HA/HANK/Text-Aspell-0.03.tar.gz
>   Is already unwrapped into directory
> /usr/local/cpan5.6.1/build/Text-Aspell-0.03
>   Has already been processed within this session
> Running make test
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
> "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
> t/test....Use of uninitialized value in string eq at t/test.t line 54.
> t/test....ok 4/21Use of uninitialized value in string eq at t/test.t line
> 59.
> Use of uninitialized value in string eq at t/test.t line 63.
> Use of uninitialized value in join or string at t/test.t line 63.

It's not clear where it's breaking

One trick is to run the tests in verbose mode.  I don't use CPAN.pm so
I'd do:

   $ make test TEST_VERBOSE=1

and then you can see what test is failing.

You can also just run the test script manually from where you unpacked
Text::Aspell:

   $ perl -Iblib/lib -Iblib/arch t/test.t | less

and then look at the output to see where things are failing.  You can
edit the t/test.t script to add more debugging if you want.  I'm a big
fan of debugging by using print statements.

Otherwise, people running Redhat have reported problems with $LANG
settings on their systems (although I think that was Redhat 9).  Mine
(on Debian) is set to en_US, and in the test script it checks that
$aspell->get_option('lang') returns "en_US".  So you might check that
setting.

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden