Re: [Aspell-user] New Aspell Dictionaries: fa, de, de-alt

From: Brian Nelson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] New Aspell Dictionaries: fa, de, de-alt
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:35:33 +0000

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 01:02:33AM -0800, Tara Milana wrote:
> Hi, I'm not planning to rewrite it, but a different version of aspell in C
> so that it'll compile. If it's okay with you. I'm not planing to branch
> off aspell and it'll be a different name. Let me know if that's alright
> and if there are any issues, thanks!

You want to write a new "aspell" from scratch in C just to make it
compile?  I think the biggest issue you'd have to deal with is your
insanity.  ;)

If you want to get an idea of what you'd be up against, here's the
output of sloccount on the aspell source:

SLOC    Directory       SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
9383    modules         cpp=9383
8901    top_dir         sh=8901
7985    common          cpp=7985
2870    prog            cpp=2590,ansic=280
1511    lib             cpp=1511
1288    auto            perl=1288
730     myspell         ansic=730
338     scripts         sh=271,perl=67
303     examples        ansic=303
184     gen             perl=184
103     misc            ansic=103
95      interfaces      ansic=95
22      maintainer      sh=22
17      win32           ansic=17
16      po              sed=16
0       data            (none)
0       debian          (none)
0       lib5            (none)
0       m4              (none)
0       manual          (none)

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
cpp:          21469 (63.62%)
sh:            9194 (27.24%)
perl:          1539 (4.56%)
ansic:         1528 (4.53%)
sed:             16 (0.05%)

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)                = 33,746
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 8.05 (96.57)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months)                         = 1.18 (14.20)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule)  = 6.80
Total Estimated Cost to Develop                           = $ 1,087,114
 (average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40).
SLOCCount, Copyright (C) 2001-2004 David A. Wheeler
SLOCCount is Open Source Software/Free Software, licensed under the GNU GPL.
SLOCCount comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, and you are welcome to
redistribute it under certain conditions as specified by the GNU GPL license;
see the documentation for details.
Please credit this data as "generated using David A. Wheeler's 'SLOCCount'."

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!