Re: [Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words

From: Ciarán Ó Duibhín
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:39:56 +0100

On to testing problem no 3. It's much the same process, using aspell 0.50.3 for Windows as before.

I open the command prompt window,
go to folder C:\Program Files\Aspell\data,
change "en.dat" from "special ' -*-" to "special ' ***".

I go to C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin,
put the words "some odd words well more" in a text file "variant.dat",
run "aspell --lang en create master ./variant < variant.dat" ,
run "copy variant. ..\dict\variant."

I put some test text into "testaspell.txt":
     some odd words xtekt well 'well more

Now I run "aspell check --master variant testaspell.txt" and only the word xtekt is queried. The word 'well is not queried.

What problems 2 and 3 have in common is that the dictionary seems to be OK, the right words go into it. But when the text is being checked against the dictionary, it would explain the experiments if the apostrophe is being removed from the text word before comparing with the dictionary (despite the special setting in en.dat). I don't see any trace mode to verify this. If this IS what is happening, is there something I can set to prevent it?

It would be really helpful if someone could try these tests with aspell 0.60 and tell me what happens.

Ciarán Ó Duibhín.