Re: [Aspell-user] ***SPAM*** Re: Hyphens and apostrophes in words

From: Carlo Traverso
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] ***SPAM*** Re: Hyphens and apostrophes in words
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 18:38:34 +0200 (CEST)

It is my understanding that changing just the .dat file is not enough,
one has to recompile the dictionary from the (modified) sources.

I know by experience that the Italian aspell dictionary recognizes
words with trailing apostrophes, the French dictionary recognizes
words with embedded hyphen, and the Latin and German dictionaries
split words at the embedded apostrophe, conforming to the description
of their .dat files. I suppose that the English dictionary does not
allow leading or trailing apostrophes because of the current English
use of apostrophe as quote character (while in other languages single
quotes are unusual).

Carlo Traverso