Re: [Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words

From: Ciarán Ó Duibhín
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Hyphens and apostrophes in words
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:29:31 +0100

Thanks, Carlo, I really appreciate your help.

It is my understanding that changing just the .dat file is not enough,
one has to recompile the dictionary from the (modified) sources.

If you mean "aspell create", I did that:
aspell --lang en create master ./variant < variant.dat
I didn't remake the whole English dictionary yet, but I'm not using it in my tests, only a tiny dictionary called "variant" with half-a-dozen words.
aspell check --master variant testaspell.txt

I know by experience that the Italian aspell dictionary recognizes
words with trailing apostrophes...

That was helpful and prompted me to look at the Italian dictionary. But what I found was not nice. There is nothing in "it.dat" about "special" treatment for the apostrophe. There are no words in aspell's Italian dictionary with an apostrophe in them. But Italian words ending in apostrophe are included in the dictionary MINUS the apostrophe, whether or not that is a valid word. So it seems that the validation by aspell of Italian words ending in apostrophe depends on this very behaviour, which I deduce must therefore be the same in all versions of aspell - at least by default.

The question then reduces for me to whether there is an option of setting aside this default behaviour of aspell, so as to keep word-marginal apostrophes when breaking up text into words for comparison with the dictionary.

Ciarán Ó Duibhín.