Re: Output to directory patch

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Output to directory patch
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 15:51:28 +0100

>>> "AH" == Al Haji-Ali <abdo.haji.ali@gmail.com> writes:
Hello Al,

> Hello,

> I've had some time to work on this patch (which outputs the tex
> output files to a directory). The attached is against the latest
> commit 6db8a1a373. I am not sure if there's still interest in
> incorporating this patch, but I have been using this setup for
> quite some time and I am very pleased by it. Uwe Brauer also helped
> me debug the patch and found a couple of issues that I fixed.

 First of all I have to say, that I find this functionality very very
 useful since it helps me to keep my directories tidy.
 As I told you I had an issue with your latest patch before December,[1] so
 I am keen to see whether it is solved I will pull and apply your patch.

> Currently, I am wondering if I can get some input from the community on some
> implementation aspects.

[Snip]...

> - There is the question of creating the output directory if it doesn't
> exists. Some commands (including TeX) assume that the directory
> exists. Currently I am creating the directory in `TeX-run-TeX` by
> calling `TeX--ensure-output-dir`.

For me this sounds fine.

> - There are several commands that might need changing to account for
> the output-directory (or could use it). I don't use these tools nor
> know their particularities, so I am hoping someone who does can give
> me guidance. These include -- Makeinfo -- AmSTeX -- ConTeXt --
> upmendex

> - Known issue: The directory in `TeX-output-dir` cannot be hidden (or
> start with `.`). This is a limitation by the tex suite for security
> reasons.

I am not quite sure I understand that one:

I am using

%%% TeX-output-dir: "./build"

Without problems but I presume, you meant ".build" ;-)

> Any input on this is welcome. I would be happy if this is to be
> included in AUCTeX (I already signed the FSF agreement).

I will apply it and report back as soon as possible.

Uwe

Footnotes:
[1]  but I was unable to debug it or to provide a recipe to reproduce it.