Re: [BUG]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [BUG]
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 18:15:17 +0100

>>> "AH" == Al Haji-Ali <abdo.haji.ali@gmail.com> writes:

> On 03/02/2021, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> I have my setup like this
>>
>>> (setq TeX-output-dir  "build"
>>> TeX-region      "build/_region_")
>>
>> Ah of course, I still sticked to the local buffer setting for testing.
>> This is much better, because I realised that I almost entirely will use
>> a build directory.
>>

> I have this in a hook, so it is still set locally.

I am not sure I understand, if you put it say in the LaTeX-mode-hook,
every time you open latex file this variable is set, so for all
practical purpose it is global. Another point is that I thought one
should avoid putting to much stuff in hooks because it slows down
things. At least Carste Dominik claimed this in is cdlatex pkg comparing
it with auctex.

> If you want to
> include this in your emacs init to use a build directory by default
> for all buffers be sure to use setq-default instead of setq.

I am also not sure I see why I should use setq-default in this case. I
thought I can use it say for abbrev

>> BTW your function copy-tex-output is also very useful for me, maybe it
>> should be included as well?

> Yes, it probably should be included as well, perhaps as a command
> that can invoked from TeX-command-master. Although it is easy
> enough for users to include it in their config. I didn't want to
> make too many changes to AUCTeX before the one I have are
> finalized/approved.

Ok

> For the benefit of others, below are two functions to copy the
> output file to other directories (defaults to directory of the
> master file) and to attach the output file to an email

> (defun TeX-copy-output ()
>    (interactive)
>    (let* ((default (expand-file-name (TeX-active-master nil)))
>           (default-dir (file-name-directory default))
>           (default-file (concat (file-name-nondirectory default) "."
> (TeX-output-extension)))
>           (outputfile (expand-file-name (TeX-active-master
> (TeX-output-extension))))
>           (filename (read-file-name "Save as:" default-dir
>                      default-file nil default-file)))
>      (copy-file outputfile filename t)))

> (defun TeX-attach-output ()
>    (interactive)
>    (require 'gnus-dired)
>    (gnus-dired-attach (list (expand-file-name (TeX-active-master
> (TeX-output-extension))))))

I use both

> One could also add the following hook so that only the (pdf or dvi)
> output file is automatically copied to the master directory after
> compilation:

> (add-hook 'TeX-after-compilation-finished-functions
>           (lambda (file)
>             (let ((output (expand-file-name file))
>                   (copy (expand-file-name (concat
>                                            (with-current-buffer
> TeX-command-buffer
>                                              (TeX-active-master nil))
>                                            "." (TeX-output-extension)))))
>               (when (and (not (string= output copy)) (file-exists-p output))
>                 (copy-file output copy t)))))

> I don't use this last hook since it defeats the purpose of the
> output-directory patch for me, but some people might find it
> useful.

Right,

Regards

Uwe