Suggestion: Move xparse.el to latex.el

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Suggestion: Move xparse.el to latex.el
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:15:59 -0300

Hi All,

I've notice the latest release included some improvements to `xparse.el' (commit 9b223d0641f3c11d48ca974ace9b5d70719814df) which, of course, is welcome.

But since the LaTeX release of 2020/10/01, `xparse' is part of the kernel as `ltcmd.dtx', and `\NewDocumentCommand' and friends are actually available out of the box, with no need to load `xparse' explicitly anymore.

I guess the same is true of the symbols `\ExplSyntaxOn' and `\ExplSyntaxOff'. Well, considering the contents of `expl3.el', I'm not sure whether the syntax changes made there would be granted by default in a regular LaTeX document (probaly not), and all else it does is related to package options. But, the mentioned symbols could be made available by default, I think. Just as `\makeatletter' / `\makeatother' are.

What do you think of moving this support to somewhere where it is loaded by default (rather than depending on the style file for `xparse')? I presume it would be `latex.el', but where it's deemed appropriate.

Best regards,
Gustavo.