Re: reftex-view-crossref seems not to work for external documents

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: reftex-view-crossref seems not to work for external documents
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 09:57:52 +0200

>>> "AE" == Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Uwe,
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> I attach two files, using the externaldocument command.
>>
>> When I run the reftex-view-crossref I obtain the following error
>>

>> ,----
>> | Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "ref: Label E:EULERPOISSON not found")
>> |   signal(error ("ref: Label E:EULERPOISSON not found"))
>> |   error("ref: Label %s not found" "E:EULERPOISSON")
>> |   reftex-view-cr-ref((4) "E:EULERPOISSON" nil)
>> |   reftex-view-crossref((4))
>> |   funcall-interactively(reftex-view-crossref (4))
>> |   call-interactively(reftex-view-crossref nil nil)
>> |   command-execute(reftex-view-crossref)
>> `----
>>
>> Any idea what is the problem?

> I had a quick look and it seems to me that RefTeX needs an optional
> argument to \externaldocument macro in order to identify the labels as
> such.

> Can you try this in your main.tex and see if it works:

> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

> \usepackage{varioref}
> \usepackage{xr-hyper}
> \usepackage[colorlinks]{hyperref}
> \usepackage{cleveref}
> \newtheorem{thm}{Theorem}
> \newtheorem{defn}{Definition}
> \newtheorem{lem}{Lemma}
> \newtheorem{cor}{Corollary}
> \newtheorem{prop}{Propostion}

> \usepackage{equation}
> \externaldocument[A-]{file1} % <==

> \begin{document}

> This is a test which doesn't work.
> (\ref{E:EULERPOISSON})

> These work.
> \ref{A-E:EULERPOISSON}
> (\ref{A-E:EULERPOISSON})

> \end{document}

Thanks Arash, no it does not work for me, two observations

    1. Should I then also change the label in the file1 document? I tried
changing and not changing but it did not help.

    2. It is strange that  reftex-reference finds the label without speciftying
the parameter you mention and inserts the reference without the parameter, so
reftex-reference is *intelligent* while reftex-view-crossref is *not* 🙃