gnu.org mailing list problems

From: Russ Allbery
Date: 28 Sep 2000 14:00:57 -0700

Robert Boehne <address@hidden> writes:

> For me this is getting ridicilous, I'm getting from 2 to 7 copies of
> each posting, not at the same time, sometimes over the period of a week.
> This didn't happen very often up until about three weeks ago.  I'd give
> up my first born to have this fixed.

It appears to be happening on all gnu.org mailing lists (at least I'm also
seeing it on info-cvs, automake, and libtool), and it looks like it dated
from the change in mailing list management software that changed the all
the headers and introduced the subject line prefixes for the first time.

It looks like mail gets caught in something on the server end and just
keeps getting sent out again; it's making the mailing lists almost
unreadable.

I'm cc'ing address@hidden because once upon a time he was the mailing
list manager for the gnu.org mailing lists; if there's somewhere better I
should be addressing problems about (apparently) all gnu.org mailing
lists, please let me know.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>