Re: FreeBSD and QNX - first results

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and QNX - first results
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:15:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Akim!

> | Hello!
> | One thing was broken recently:
> |
> | /bin/sh -n autoconf
> |
> | doesn't work on FreeBSD and QNX if autoconf is not in the current
> | directory.
>
> No kidding!?!  That's only with `-n' or any `sh autoconf' will fail?

Any "sh autoconf":

address@hidden proski]$ ash autoconf
autoconf: Can't open autoconf
address@hidden proski]$ bash autoconf
autoconf: configure.in: No such file or directory
address@hidden proski]$

> | Also FreeBSD comes with its own sed that doesn't work with autoupdate. I
> | think we should change autoupdate to use perl instead of relying on GNU
> | sed. By the way, that "\b" seems to be undocumented - "info sed" for
> | sed-3.02 says nothing about it.
>
> Anyway GNU Sed documentation doesn't document its regex.  But since
> it's atop regex, and won't use rx in the future, that's a safe
> assumption.

If GNU regex is not documented in "info sed" then "\b" is an undocumented
feature. At least from a very strict point of view.

> Still, I agree rewriting autoupdate in some other language would be
> fine.  I'd suggest waiting for 2.51.

The problem is that requiring GNU sed for autoupdate is essentially
requiring GNU sed for the testsuite which means not testing other sed's

> | The testsuite is supposed to ignore the failures caused by a non-GNU sed
> | but it probably doesn't (I haven't investigated it yet).
>
> It does ignore them.

Then something else must be failing. I'll have a closer look.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin