Re: Forbidden strings

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Forbidden strings
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:56:19 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Akim!

> The one and only approach is the current one.  Let's stop reinventing
> the wheel.

That's probably too stronly worded :-)

> Pavel> Another question is the namespace. I agree that Autoconf
> Pavel> shouldn't be so greedy. One name per package should be the
> Pavel> right way. I.e., AC for autoconf, AM for automake, LT for
> Pavel> libtool. It should be easy to rename A[HSTU]_* to something
> Pavel> else before 2.50.
>
> I am strictly, ferociously, against this.
>
> Pavel> It will be harder to do it later.
>
> But what's the point???

The point is uniformity. Remember how you were renaming all m4 macros so
that they would begin with m4.

Autoconf developers may need to distinguish separate componets, by for the
end user all those m4_ifval, AC_MSG_ERROR and AS_EXIT are parts of the
same package - Autoconf.

I'm not going to change your mind. Go ahead if you have a strong opinion.

Just take my advice. At least once a month take a random big package by
search on www.freshmeat.net (Lesstif, openssh, gnome-libs, whatever) and
try to run Autoconf. And then put yourself in the position of a guy who
knows nothing about our changes and wants to upgrade Autoconf.

If the libtool team couldn't avoid a name that you want to reserve it is
very likely that someone else will encounter the same problem.

I'd like to stop this discussion at this point. I guess we need more
feedback from beta-testers.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin